It is the most played song in Irish history – and maybe American too – but from a cast of thousands of singers and players we have picked the best and worst versions of “Danny Boy.”
1 Frank Patterson, Irish-born late tenor really let it fly.
2. Eric Clapton, acoustic version is haunting and beautiful.
3. Elvis Presley on his seventh take got it just right.
4. Bing Crosby, schmaltzy but very beautifully enunciated.
5. Jim Reeves, incomparable voice, lovely quiet rendition.
1.Roy Orbison. Oh Dear, sounds like the chipmunks got into this guitar.
2. Tom Jones; It sounds like someone strangling the cat.
3. Michelob advertisement...WTF.
Worst Danny Boy covers ever by CulturePub
4. Cher. Goes on forever, bet you can’t sit through it.
5. The Muppets: You’ll get a laugh at least!
* Originally published in 2014.