Donal Skehan is a home cook, food writer, and television presenter who has written five cookbooks. He presents the TV show Kitchen Hero on RTÉ One in Ireland, Grandma's Boy on FOX International and is a judge on BBC's Junior MasterChef. Check out Donal's facebook, twitter and website and make sure to subscribe to his youtube channel for more culinary tips, recipes and food travels.
"These seeds are my perfect little Halloween snack and they are far more healthy than your average Halloween treats! Try experimenting with flavours, I have yet to make a sweet version of these but I’m pretty sure they would work well too." - Donal.
Serves about 4 people as a snack
The seeds of 2 pumpkins
3 tablespoons of melted butter
2 teaspoons of chilli powder
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons of sea salt
- Remove the seeds from the pumpkin, place in a colander and rinse with water until they are clean.
- Shake off any excess water and place the seeds on a dry tea towel and pat dry.
- Place the seeds in a large roasting tray and pour over the melted butter.
- Sprinkle the seeds with the chilli powder, cayenne pepper and sea salt.
- Toss the seeds until they are all thoroughly coated.
- Place in the oven to toast for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool, though to be honest sometimes they taste the best straight out of the oven. Just watch out for burned fingers!