Sweets for your sweet on St. Patrick’s Day recipe for Irish coffee toffee
A classic Irish recipe reinvented
In her blog ‘Bakingdom,’ Darla gets us ready for St. Patrick’s Day with this tasty looking treat.
Darla says “I decided to take an Irish classic and reinvent it. Irish coffee is coffee with whiskey and sugar, topped with cream. My twist has the coffee, whiskey, and sugar, but also the addition of chocolate and mint, all wrapped up in toffee! Say hello to Irish coffee toffee!”
Makes 19×13 sheet of candy
*If you want to make this vegan be sure to buy vegan sugars and chocolate chips.
1/2 cup (1stick) unsalted butter (margarine for vegan)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon molasses
1 tablespoon Irish whiskey (optional)
2 teaspoons finely ground espresso
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 to 1 cup chopped Andes mints (I used about 1/2 cup) or 1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts (roasted)
In a small saucepan set over medium high heat, combine the butter, sugar, brown sugar, molasses, whiskey, espresso, and salt.
Stir until the butter is melted and the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reaches about 250 degrees on a candy thermometer.
Continue boiling, stirring constantly (be sure to get in the corners of the pan), until the mixture reaches 300 degrees.
Remove the mixture from the heat and pour onto a pan lined with parchment paper or a Silpat mat.
If necessary, use an offset or heatproof spatula to spread the candy evenly.
Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the hot toffee and allow to sit for five minutes, then spread the now soft chocolate over the top of the toffee.
Before the chocolate sets, sprinkle the chopped Andes mints (or hazelnuts) evenly over the top of the candy. Allow to cool completely before cutting or breaking into pieces.
More #IRISHFOOD (4)
- Second Scranton Celtic Festival to build on fun and success with great acts and activities...
- New Irish festival GaelFest to showcase music, dance, sports, arts and literature...
- My top ten favorite Irish foods in most of Ireland's grocery stores - from Tayto crisps to...
- Results of the Ulster Finals of the Irish Restaurant Awards 2013 - top Northern Ireland ea...
- Horse disemboweled and sliced open in horrific.
- Irish footballer under investigation after...
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate...
- Irish politician refuses to back down on...
- Bill O'Reilly claims the Obama administration...
- British emigrant group calls on government...
- Delphi Lodge takes responsibility for turning...
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- Sex addiction on the rise says Dublin Clinic...
- 'You attack one Muslim, you attack all Muslims'