St. Patrick's Day recipes - hearty breakfast sandwich
Tasty, healthy and not insignificantly…green, white and orange. Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Cook Time: 1-30 min
4 ounces feta cheese
1 ½ tablespoons chopped chives
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
6 egg whites
3 tablespoons evaporated skim milk
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4-1/4 inch thick slices tomato
2 whole wheat English muffins, cut in half and lightly toasted
1 cup baby arugula
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
In a small bowl combine the feta cheese with 1 tablespoon of chopped chives and the chopped basil and set aside.
Combine the eggs, milk, ¼ teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium size mixing bowl and whisk well to combine.
Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a medium size sauté pan over medium heat. When hot, add the sliced tomato and cook for 1 minute per side. Remove the tomato from the pan to a plate and set aside.
Using a paper towel, wipe out the pan.
Return the sauté pan to medium heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Once the butter has melted, add the eggs to the pan. Allow the eggs to set for 30 seconds, then begin stirring slowly with a heat resistant rubber spatula. As soon as curds begin to form, increase heat to high and instead of stirring, use the spatula to fold the eggs over themselves. Fold in the feta cheese and herb mixture to the eggs and cook for another 45 seconds, or until just warmed through.
In a small bowl combine the arugula with the remaining salt and pepper and the toss with the olive oil and vinegar.
Toast the English muffins and place a quarter of the arugula on each muffin half, then top each with one slice of tomato. Divide the eggs between the English muffins and garnish with the remaining chopped chives.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse
More #IRISHFOOD (4)
- Two Irish chefs launch new All-Ireland Culinary tours business...
- Irish restaurant critic Ross Golden-Bannon launches pop-up artisan eatery...
- Planning a Trip to Ireland? Avail of our new IrishCentral Travel Deal of the Week...
- The Irish Cultural Centre of New England presents the 23rd annual Boston Irish Festival...
- President Obama’s visit to North comes at...
- Is Rory McIlroy a spoiled brat and just an...
- Shock as Irish priest praises Prime Minister’s.
- Sinn Fein deputy leader speaks out against...
- The Irish are known for being friendly to...
- Secret Service agents take to the Fermanagh...
- BBC defends Danny Baker’s anti-Irish tweet...
- Irish politician receives death threat after...
- Young Irish immigrant dies tragically in...
- Pro-life Fine Gael Senator confirms she will...