St. Patrick's Day recipes - hearty breakfast sandwich
Tasty, healthy and not insignificantly…green, white and orange. Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Cook Time: 1-30 min
4 ounces feta cheese
1 ½ tablespoons chopped chives
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
6 egg whites
3 tablespoons evaporated skim milk
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4-1/4 inch thick slices tomato
2 whole wheat English muffins, cut in half and lightly toasted
1 cup baby arugula
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
In a small bowl combine the feta cheese with 1 tablespoon of chopped chives and the chopped basil and set aside.
Combine the eggs, milk, ¼ teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium size mixing bowl and whisk well to combine.
Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a medium size sauté pan over medium heat. When hot, add the sliced tomato and cook for 1 minute per side. Remove the tomato from the pan to a plate and set aside.
Using a paper towel, wipe out the pan.
Return the sauté pan to medium heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Once the butter has melted, add the eggs to the pan. Allow the eggs to set for 30 seconds, then begin stirring slowly with a heat resistant rubber spatula. As soon as curds begin to form, increase heat to high and instead of stirring, use the spatula to fold the eggs over themselves. Fold in the feta cheese and herb mixture to the eggs and cook for another 45 seconds, or until just warmed through.
In a small bowl combine the arugula with the remaining salt and pepper and the toss with the olive oil and vinegar.
Toast the English muffins and place a quarter of the arugula on each muffin half, then top each with one slice of tomato. Divide the eggs between the English muffins and garnish with the remaining chopped chives.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse
- Delicious Christmas recipe for a chocolate Yule log, the Bûche de Noël...
- A variation on the traditional Irish Christmas Cake recipe ...
- How the Irish celebrate Christmas has changed since the financial collapse...
- Hearty and warming Irish beef and onion pie recipe...
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- Megyn Kelly says Santa and Jesus are white,...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Irish outrage over NY Times pigeon-eating...
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- How Christmas was in my father’s time