IrishCentral’s top ten Irish food and drinks you’ve never heard of
From mead to kippers to sloes, you’ll want to taste these rarities
Have you ever found yourself confused by food menu’s in Ireland?
Throughout the centuries we have developed some rare and delectable recipes, where few things go to waste. To find out more about some odd Irish cuisine, read on.
Variety of wild blueberry used in desserts and for flavoring poitin.
Prime cuts of pork loin, lightly brined and smoked.
To ‘kipper’ a herring is to split it, bone it, lightly salt it, then smoke it. Usually eaten at breakfast.
An alcoholic drink made from fermented honey
Homemade distilled spirit, a practice which is illegal in Ireland. Made from a brew consisting mainly of barely, it has a distinctive dry and grainy flavor with a delicate aftertaste that becomes sweeter as it develops.
6. Porter Cake
A fruit cake in which the liquid used is porter (a light variety of stout).
7. Rowan berries
The berries of a rowan tree, also known as the mountain ash.
The fruit of the blackthorn tree which are suitable for preserves.
9. Soda Farl
A flat white soda bread, shaped into a round, cut into triangular quarters and baked on a griddle; farl is an old work for quarter.
10. Yall Man
Honeycombed toffee, a specialty of Ballycastle, County Antrim.
SOURCE: Biddy White Lennon (www.discoverireland.com)
More #IRISHFOOD (4)
- Second Scranton Celtic Festival to build on fun and success with great acts and activities...
- New Irish festival GaelFest to showcase music, dance, sports, arts and literature...
- My top ten favorite Irish foods in most of Ireland's grocery stores - from Tayto crisps to...
- Results of the Ulster Finals of the Irish Restaurant Awards 2013 - top Northern Ireland ea...
- Horse disemboweled and sliced open in horrific.
- Planned Parenthood support for Irish leader...
- Irish politician refuses to back down on...
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate...
- Irish footballer under investigation after...
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- Bill O'Reilly claims the Obama administration...
- British emigrant group calls on government...
- Delphi Lodge takes responsibility for turning...
- Gay porn priest is appointed to new parish...