Healthy homemade brown soda bread for St. Patrick's Day
The healthy solution - all the bread with half the guilt!
HOMEMADE BROWN SODA BREAD
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups low-fat buttermilk
Preheat oven to 450F
Combine the flours, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly. Make a well in the center of mixture. Add buttermilk to flour mixture; stir until blended (dough will be sticky). Turn dough out onto a generously floured surface. Knead lightly 4 to 5 times. Shape dough into an 8-inch round loaf; place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
Bake at 450 for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 400 and continue to bake for another 15 minutes, or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped underneath. Cool on a wire rack. Simple and delicious!
Healthy tip: To reduce calories simply use low-fat buttermilk instead of full-fat buttermilk
More #IRISHFOOD (4)
- Michelle Obama and daughters trace their...
- Good Morning America says Sasha and Malia...
- Former church spokesman criticised for using...
- Daily Mail unloads on 'drunken young' Paddys...
- President Obama’s visit to North comes at...
- Sinn Fein deputy leader speaks out against...
- Body of Irish immigrant tossed in medical...
- North’s Minister for Finance accuses Republic...
- Irish kids receive almost $700 in Holy Communio
- Shock as Irish priest praises Prime Minister’s.