Go Green - delicious St. Patrick’s Day recipe for watercress soup
A healthy delicious green soup for Ireland’s national holiday
So there’s the Shamrock Shake and now there’s Shamrock flavored chips but for those Irish who are thinking of their figure here’s a great “green” alternative and a delicious way to mark St. Patrick’s Day – green soup.
This soup includes watercress, peas and pears which are simmered together to create a creamy green soup.
According to reports in Detroit Lakes Online watercress has long been known as a super food. In Ancient Greece the father of all doctors Hippocrates used it to treat blood disorders. It was also part of the daily diet of Roman soldiers. Persians were also advised to feed their children watercress to help them grown.
Of course now we know that the bittersweet, peppery sprig is full of calcium, manganese and potassium as well as vitamin C, A and K.
What could be better than setting yourself up with some health chow for St. Patrick’s Day that’s festive and healthy too.
1/2 cup onion, chopped
3 to 5 tablespoons water, for sautéing
1 1/2 cups chopped, peeled ripe pears
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
2 cups watercress leaves
1 cup white wine
2 cups water
1 dried bay leaf
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 cup coconut milk creamer
Fresh watercress leaves, for garnish
Heat three tablespoons of water in a large-size saucepan over medium heat.
Add chopped onion and cook until softened, about five minutes.
If water evaporates, add more, 1 tablespoon at a time.
Add pears, peas and watercress to pot. Reduce heat, cover pot and steam ingredients approximately three minutes.
Add wine, two cups water and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer. Cover pot and cook until pears are tender.
Remove bay leaf. Transfer mixture to a blender. Puree until smooth. Pour soup back into pot. Stir in coconut milk creamer.
Season with salt and white pepper, to taste.
Makes 4 1/2 to 5 cups soup.
- Delicious Christmas recipe for a chocolate Yule log, the Bûche de Noël...
- A variation on the traditional Irish Christmas Cake recipe ...
- How the Irish celebrate Christmas has changed since the financial collapse...
- Hearty and warming Irish beef and onion pie recipe...
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...