Go Green - delicious St. Patrick’s Day recipe for watercress soup
A healthy delicious green soup for Ireland’s national holiday
So there’s the Shamrock Shake and now there’s Shamrock flavored chips but for those Irish who are thinking of their figure here’s a great “green” alternative and a delicious way to mark St. Patrick’s Day – green soup.
This soup includes watercress, peas and pears which are simmered together to create a creamy green soup.
According to reports in Detroit Lakes Online watercress has long been known as a super food. In Ancient Greece the father of all doctors Hippocrates used it to treat blood disorders. It was also part of the daily diet of Roman soldiers. Persians were also advised to feed their children watercress to help them grown.
Of course now we know that the bittersweet, peppery sprig is full of calcium, manganese and potassium as well as vitamin C, A and K.
What could be better than setting yourself up with some health chow for St. Patrick’s Day that’s festive and healthy too.
1/2 cup onion, chopped
3 to 5 tablespoons water, for sautéing
1 1/2 cups chopped, peeled ripe pears
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
2 cups watercress leaves
1 cup white wine
2 cups water
1 dried bay leaf
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 cup coconut milk creamer
Fresh watercress leaves, for garnish
Heat three tablespoons of water in a large-size saucepan over medium heat.
Add chopped onion and cook until softened, about five minutes.
If water evaporates, add more, 1 tablespoon at a time.
Add pears, peas and watercress to pot. Reduce heat, cover pot and steam ingredients approximately three minutes.
Add wine, two cups water and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer. Cover pot and cook until pears are tender.
Remove bay leaf. Transfer mixture to a blender. Puree until smooth. Pour soup back into pot. Stir in coconut milk creamer.
Season with salt and white pepper, to taste.
Makes 4 1/2 to 5 cups soup.
More #IRISHFOOD (4)
- Irish chefs Zack Gallagher and Wendy Kavanagh start new all-Ireland culinary tour business...
- Second Scranton Celtic Festival to build on fun and success with great acts and activities...
- New Irish festival GaelFest to showcase music, dance, sports, arts and literature...
- My top ten favorite Irish foods in most of Ireland's grocery stores - from Tayto crisps to...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Michael Flatley, star of Lord of the Dance...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Did Pope Francis perform an exorcism at the...
- Violent attacks on gays in New York up 70...
- The top ten things I dislike about Irish...
- 'I expect terror attacks during G8 summit'...
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- 87-year-old sues Donald Trump over condo...