Gilligan's Gourmet: Halloween treats - roast pumkin seeds and pumkin soup recipes
Relieve nervous exhaustion, because it contains L-tryptophan, a compound that is effective against depression.
Relieve constipation, and catarrh, the condition of fluids running from mucous membranes.
Helps to reduce overweight or obesity and dissolves gall stones.
Helpful in cases of tuberculosis.
Help prevent the formation of kidney stones.
Contain anti-inflammatory properties without the harmful side effect of anti-inflammatory drug.
Good for diabetics just like cucumber and bitter gourd.
Contains zinc that can be helpful in prostate problem. They promote overall prostate health and alleviate the difficult urination associated with an enlarged prostate.
Pumpkin seed contain phytosterols, compound found in a plant that is believed to reduce cholesterol level and prevent some cancers.
Helps prevent osteoporosis because of its calcium content
Fresh Pumpkin Soup
2 tablespoons butter
1 onions, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 apples, peeled and diced
2 cups fresh pumpkin ( roasted and diced, see note below)
1 tablespoon sage leaves
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup cream
salt & freshly ground black pepper
In a stockpot over medium heat, melt butter and saute onion, carrot, apple, roasted
pumpkin, and sage until all are tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Puree the mixture in a food mill; if you do not have a food mill, then puree in a food processor or blender. Return the puree to the stockpot, add the chicken stock and simmer for 15 minutes.
Then add the cream and simmer for 5 more minutes, lowering the heat if necessary so it does not boil. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Divide soup among 4 soup bowls and serve immediately.
COOKS NOTE: To roast pumpkin, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut whole pumpkin in half and then cut each half into several pieces. Discard seeds or reserve for another use. Place pumpkin on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast in oven until tender but not falling apart, about 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool, peel away skin, and dice.
AND FINALLY…What's the ratio of a pumpkin's circumference to its diameter?
More #IRISHFOOD (4)
- Second Scranton Celtic Festival to build on fun and success with great acts and activities...
- New Irish festival GaelFest to showcase music, dance, sports, arts and literature...
- My top ten favorite Irish foods in most of Ireland's grocery stores - from Tayto crisps to...
- Results of the Ulster Finals of the Irish Restaurant Awards 2013 - top Northern Ireland ea...
- Horse disemboweled and sliced open in horrific.
- Planned Parenthood support for Irish leader...
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate...
- Bill O'Reilly claims the Obama administration...
- Irish politician refuses to back down on...
- Irish footballer under investigation after...
- British emigrant group calls on government...
- Gay porn priest is appointed to new parish...
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- Delphi Lodge takes responsibility for turning...