Chef Gilligan's Thanksgiving apple and sausage stuffing recipe
Our Irish chef continues his preparation for the biggest feast of the year
With Thanksgiving just around the corner we are going to continue our preparation for the big feast.
For most people the thing that makes the Thanksgiving meal is the sides, whether it is cranberry sauce out of the can or aunt fanny’s green bean casserole, but this year you are going to dazzle your friends and family with a great stuffing made with Italian sausage and apples.
APPLE AND SAUSAGE STUFFING
Makes 40 cups.
This savory stuffing recipe makes enough to fill a 14- to 16-pound bird and is always a hit, even with kids. And when made with low-fat turkey sausage, this is a healthy and complete meal in itself.
2 lb. sweet Italian turkey or pork sausage, casing removed
4 tbsp. butter
2 large onion, chopped
8 celery stalks, diced
4 Granny Smith or delicious apples, cored and chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
4tsp. poultry seasoning
24 cups cubed multigrain bread, cubed and dried in an uncovered bowl overnight
42 cups (or more) low-sodium chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste
Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Brown the sausage until cooked through. Remove from heat, transfer to a large mixing bowl, and crumble sausage.
Melt the butter in the skillet and simmer the onion for 2 to 3 minutes, or until translucent. Add the celery, apples, garlic, and poultry seasoning, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring often.
Add the apple-vegetable mixture to the bowl of sausage, along with the bread; mix well. Moisten with the chicken broth and season with salt and pepper. Cool completely before stuffing the turkey.
Gilligan’s tip: Stuffing can be cooked separately in a large glass casserole dish, but more stock may be needed to replace the moisture that usually comes from the turkey cavity.
- Hearty and warming Irish beef and onion pie recipe...
- Top ten best Irish food and drink treats for the Christmas season...
- Homemade Irish brown soda bread recipe...
- Gilligan's Gourmet: Christmas pudding with brandy butter...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...