Chef Gilligan's Gourmet: In honor of Martin Luther King Jr Day - Southern fried chicken recipe
The king of "soul food" and fabulous to share with your friends and family
Shortcut Fried Chicken with Sauce Beautiful
4 –6 Servings
½ cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cleaned and cut diagonally in half
½ cup butter
½ cup vegetable oil
Mix the flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge the chicken breast pieces in the mixture.
Melt the butter in a large heavy (preferably cast iron) skillet. Add the oil and heat it to 375°.
When the oil butter mixture has heated, add the chicken pieces, in a single layer without crowding. The chicken pieces will cook quite fast since there are no bones.
When the chicken breasts are golden brown on one side, turn them to brown the other side. If the heat is correct, the chicken should be cooked through by the time the second side is browned. Since overcooked chicken breasts can be dry, make sure they are removed from the oil butter mixture as soon as they are barely cooked through.
Makes about 1 ¼ cups
½ cup peach jam or preserves
½ cup water
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
If the peach preserves are really chunky, mash them with a fork or put them in the food processor and process until smooth. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and mix well. Cook over medium-high heat until thickened, stirring occasionally.
AND FINALLY…Top Ten Signs You’ve Eaten Too Much Southern Friend Chicken
10. Hundreds of volunteers have started to stack sandbags around you.
9. Doctor tells you your weight would be perfect for a man 17 feet tall.
8. You are responsible for a slight but measurable shift in the earth’s axis.
7. Right this minute you’re laughing up pie on the carpet.
6. You decide to take a little nap and wake up in mid-July.
5. World’s fattest man sends you a telegram, warning you to “back off!”
4. People are beginning to lick your fingers
3. Getting off your couch requires help from the fire department.
2. Every escalator you step on immediately grinds to a halt.
1. You’re sweatin’ gravy.
- Gilligan's Gourmet: Christmas pudding with brandy butter...
- New Belfast restaurant, The Malt Room, gives all profits to charity...
- Thanksgiving recipe for Irish Cream Pumpkin Pie...
- Thanksgiving cranberry sauce with dried apricots, port wine and cardamom recipe...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Notre Dame sues federal government again...
- Smithwick inquiry finds Irish police may...
- Why Ireland needs to give its emigrants a...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Obama relative gets personal special deal...
- Amazing story of how Choctaw Indians raised...
- Sarah Jessica Parker opens her heart to grievin
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- 'Danny Boy' turns 100 and the experts explain...