Chef Gilligan kicks off football season with chicken and mushroom pie
A great traditional pie recipe
After what seems like only 20 minutes, the football season is upon us again.
As a kid growing up the summer seemed to drag on forever with no football, and as I grew up in England I had to endure boring cricket and tennis on the telly. These days with the advent of the web and satellite television it seems like it never goes away (well, that’s what my wife says anyway).
My boys Birmingham City are back in the big time again, well for a season at least!
We seem to be a yo-yo team these days but our recent performance against the champions Manchester United has given me some heart. I was expecting a real tanking but to lose 1-0 at Old Trafford is practically a victory for us. The last time we beat United at Old Trafford I was 10-years-old so I wasn’t really entertaining any thoughts of a different result.
The other team in the city of Manchester has spent big, but we know that money doesn’t buy greatness, although it really, really helps. I think they will need time to grow, just as Chelsea did when the Russian geezer came in with his dough.
Arsenal started the season in style by thrashing Everton and of course Chelsea score in the last minute to give them a winning start.
This year it is going to be tight at the top; but I don’t think we will see anyone break up the dominance of the top 4.
Can Liverpool finally get their elusive Premier League crown? This could be the year.
So here’s where I make my predictions for the final table of the season:
2 Man Utd
5 Man City
8 West Ham
The last game I went to was a couple of seasons ago at White Heart lane to see Spurs thrash my Blues. That wasn’t the worst part. The draught beer was pre-poured and covered in cling film, but I can live with warm flat beer as it is better than no beer.
More #IRISHFOOD (4)
- Irish chefs Zack Gallagher and Wendy Kavanagh start new all-Ireland culinary tour business...
- Second Scranton Celtic Festival to build on fun and success with great acts and activities...
- New Irish festival GaelFest to showcase music, dance, sports, arts and literature...
- My top ten favorite Irish foods in most of Ireland's grocery stores - from Tayto crisps to...
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- Enda Kenny, not the Catholic Church, speaks...
- Irish leader delivers powerful commencement...
- Irish ‘Mick’ fighter pilot was one of the...
- $104 million Brian Boru biopic set to be...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- Right-wing shock jock Pete Santilli slammed...
- Computer giant Apple avoiding $25 billion...
- Guinness summit? Obama and Putin to enjoy...
- The top 100 Irish last names explained