Celebrate National Irish Coffee Day - how to make the perfect winter drink
Whiskey, coffee, sugar and cream - what could be better on a freezing January day?
As the Irish actor Alex Levin said, “Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. ”
Celebrating the United States National Irish Coffee Day we tend to agree with Levin so we've put together the recipe for a perfect Irish coffee.
Here’s a recipe for the perfect Irish Coffee:
1 ½ oz. of Jameson Irish whiskey
5-7 oz. hot coffee or 2 shots of espresso
1-2 tsp. brown sugar
Fresh whipped cream
Run hot water slowly over a glass mug until it’s at room temperature or hotter, and then dry it (pouring hot coffee into a cold glass could cause it to crack)
Add brown sugar to mug
Pour in whiskey
Add coffee or espresso, leaving space at top for whipped cream
*To make cold Irish coffee, chill the sweetened coffee before adding the whiskey
Stir until sugar is completely dissolved
Set whipped cream on drink
Do not stir (drink stays warmer longer with the cream sitting on top)
Irish coffee ice cream recipe
1 ½ cup milk
2 ½ tbsp espresso coffee powder
4 eggs beaten well
¼ cup Irish whiskey
1 ¼ cup heavy cream
½ cup brown sugar
1. Heat a pan and add milk, brown sugar, and coffee. Boil on medium flame till the sugar and coffee dissolves in milk.
2. After sugar and coffee dissolves, take the pan off flame and let it cool. If in a hurry, you can place the pan in a bowl of cold water to cool the milk.
3. In a blender, add the dissolved milk. Now add eggs, whiskey, salt and cream. Blend until smooth.
4. Pour in a bowl and refrigerate it for 3-4 hours. Blend again and then pour in ice cream makers. Freeze for 8-10 hours.
Originally published in 2011.
- Homemade Irish brown soda bread recipe...
- Gilligan's Gourmet: Christmas pudding with brandy butter...
- New Belfast restaurant, The Malt Room, gives all profits to charity...
- Thanksgiving recipe for Irish Cream Pumpkin Pie...
- Irish university suspends Legion of Mary...
- 4,000 Irish social welfare letters encourage...
- Notre Dame sues federal government again...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Top ten worst ever Irish Christmas gifts,...
- Nelson Mandela showed us all what could be...
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Address by Nelson Mandela to Joint Houses...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra