Alternative Irish Christmas cake - luscious Guinness chocolate cake recipe
Ditch the boring old fruit cake and create a new tradition with this chocolate cake recipe
If you’re like me the the traditional fruit cake, layered in marzipan and thick, hard white icing is about as appetizing as cold noodle soup. So here’s a perfect alternative that all the family will love.
It’s chocolaty, it includes Guinness and you can decorate the top of the cake with the kids as normal. The perfect solution!
Warning the likelihood of there being leftovers of these cake are nil.
Here’s the recipe:
250g unsalted butter
400g caster sugar
1 x 142ml pot sour cream
1 tablespoon real vanilla extract
275g plain flour
2 1/2teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
300g Philadelphia cream cheese
125ml double or whipping cream
Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180°C, and butter and line a 23cmspring-form tin.
Pour the Guinness into a large wide saucepan, add the butter – in spoons or slices – and heat until the butter’s melted, at which time you should whisk in the cocoa and sugar.
Beat the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla and then pour into the brown, buttery, beery pan and finally whisk in the flour and bicarb.
Pour the cake batter into the greased and lined tin and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Leave to cool completely in the tin on a cooling rack, as it is quite a damp cake.
When the cake’s cold, sit it on a flat platter or cake stand and get on with the icing. Lightly whip the cream cheese until smooth, sieve over the icing sugar and then beat them both together. Or do this in a processor, putting the unsieved icing sugar in first and blitz to remove lumps before adding the cheese.
Add the cream and beat again until it makes a spreadable consistency. Ice the top of the black cake so that it resembles the frothy top of the famous pint.
More #IRISHFOOD (4)
- Irish chefs Zack Gallagher and Wendy Kavanagh start new all-Ireland culinary tour business...
- Second Scranton Celtic Festival to build on fun and success with great acts and activities...
- New Irish festival GaelFest to showcase music, dance, sports, arts and literature...
- My top ten favorite Irish foods in most of Ireland's grocery stores - from Tayto crisps to...
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- Irish leader delivers powerful commencement...
- Computer giant Apple avoiding $25 billion...
- Right-wing shock jock Pete Santilli slammed...
- Guinness summit? Obama and Putin to enjoy...
- Enda Kenny, not the Catholic Church, speaks...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- The top ten things I dislike about Irish...
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- Irish people in UK 'less likely to identify...