Will Ferrell named most overpaid star in Hollywood
Irish-American comedian Will Ferrell has topped the list of the Most Overpaid Stars.
The “Elf” actor and comedian was named at the top of the annual list by Forbes magazine, which calculated how much moviemakers earn per dollar paid to their lead actor.
After the last couple of the funnyman’s films, “Semi-Pro” and “Land of the Lost,” bombed at the box office, his rate of return has dropped to $3.29 for every dollar of his fee.
This contrasts greatly with the other end of the scale, which saw Shia LaBeouf named as the Best Actor for the Buck in August, earning studios an average of $160 for every dollar he was paid.
Behind Ferrell on the Most Overpaid list was Scottish actor Ewan McGregor, while Tom Cruise, Leonardo DiCaprio and Samuel L. Jackson all made the top 10.
However, Ferrell, who has roots in County Kerry, could turn his box office figures around as he recently revealed he wants to make a sequel to “Anchorman,” one of his most successful films to date, about a 1970s newscaster.
The 42-year-old star said: "Yeah we're trying to figure out when and how we should do that. We're going to meet with all the guys and see if we can actually pull this off.
"With Steve Carrell and Paul Rudd, they're in different places with their careers. It's a lot harder to get us all together."
Although the “SNL” alum did add: "And believe me, I'm not taking a pay cut, no way, absolutely not!"
Here’s Forbes magazine's top 10 Most Overpaid Stars:
1. Will Ferrell
2. Ewan McGregor
3. Billy Bob Thornton
4. Eddie Murphy
5. Ice Cube
6. Tom Cruise
7. Drew Barrymore
8. Leonardo DiCaprio
9. Samuel L. Jackson
10. Jim Carrey
- Notre Dame sues federal government again...
- Caroline Kennedy “selfie” in Japan reveals...
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Ireland wins top spot on Forbes’ Best Countries
- Smithwick inquiry finds Irish police may...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Why Ireland needs to give its emigrants a...
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Cork mother grieves for husband, son and...