One Direction, the boy-band byproduct of the 2010 season of the UK ‘X Factor,’ have recently taken the US by storm. Perhaps the next coming of the British Invasion, the lads have already topped the charts and are selling out concerts across the country.
Here, get to know the only Irish member of the group, singer Niall Horan.
1. Niall’s the only Irish member of the new smash pop group ‘One Direction’ - he hails from Mullingar in Westmeath.
2. Niall loves to keep in touch with his fans. Join nearly 11 million fans and follow the tweetaholic @NiallOfficial on Twitter!
3. He’ll be turning 20 later this year. Niall was born on September 13, 1993
4. Other mega popstar Katy Perry is one of his biggest fans. The pop queen put Niall through during the 2010 season of ‘X Factor’ in the UK, and recently congratulated him on his group’s new found success in the US via Twitter saying “@NiallOfficial congratulations, you didn't let me down! xo”
5. Niall’s got nerves of steel. Following a car accident outside of Birmingham, England earlier this year, he reportedly laughed it off. “I actually laughed afterwards. I don’t know why, but I thought it was funny – it felt like being in bumper cars,” said Horan after a car hit the one he was travelling in.
6. He had a bad case of “Irish teeth.” Prior to heading for the US along with One Direction, Niall’s managers had him fitted for braces to fix up his now adorable smile.
7. Niall originally had big dreams of being a solo music star. When he didn’t make the cut for boys soloists round in the ‘X Factor’ UK, he and the four other lads were picked to form One Direction, which ultimately came in third in the reality music competition. They were later signed to Simon Cowell’s record label Syco.
8. He’s got an eye for older women. Of Irish television presenter Christine Bleakley, Horan said "Seriously, she is my NBF, my new best friend - she is utterly incredible. I also think she's gorgeous.. I like the older woman.” Bleakley is 15 years Horan’s senior.
9. Aside from being a talented singer, Niall is also great on the guitar. He’s quoted as saying that receiving a guitar for Christmas one year was the best present he could have ever received.
10. Horan’s career inspiration? Michael Buble. Horan remembers a time when he was singing in the car and his family noticed his vocal talents. "My aunt said she thought the radio was on. Exactly the same thing happened to Michael Bublé with his dad. He's my absolute hero so I like the fact we have a similar story.”
Got any more fun facts about One Direction’s Niall Horan? Comment below!