Liam Neeson's 'Taken 2' beats Ben Affleck's ‘Argo’ during opening weekend – VIDEO
Action sequel tops box office for second weekend in a row
Liam Neeson’s ‘Taken 2’ managed to narrowly beat Ben Affleck’s ‘Argo’ during the Iranian thriller’s opening weekend.
US Box office estimates put the 20th Century Fox sequel, starring Neeson, in first place with $22.5 million during its second weekend.
Affleck’s Iranian thriller opened in second place with $20.1 million. Starring Affleck, John Goodman, Alan Arkin, and Bryan Cranston, there is already an Oscar buzz around the political thriller set in Iran in 1979. The film cost Warner Brothers and GK Films about $44 million to make.
Ben Affleck's family hated his beard for his ‘Argo’ role -VIDEO
‘Sinister’, the Summit horror film starring Ethan Hawke debuted in third place with $18.3 million.
Despite being described as a watered-down rehash of the original ‘Taken’, Liam Neeson’s follow up action movie still came out on top.
Read More: Exclusive interview with ‘Taken 2’ star Liam Neeson - Being a badass at 60 is simple - VIDEO
"It kind of proves that reviews do not matter," said Paul Dergarabedian, an analyst for box-office tracker Hollywood.com. "Audiences just continue to eat this up. They just love Liam Neeson in this role."
Watch the Argo trailer below:
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas