Legacy of John Ford celebrated at special Irish film symposium – VIDEOS
Much loved Irish American filmmaker celebrated and remembered
- A public interview and master class with Oscar nominated director Peter Bogdanovich (“The Last Picture Show”) who knew Ford and made the remarkable documentary directed by John Ford, which includes rare interviews with Ford, Henry Fonda, James Stewart, and Clint Eastwood.
- Keynote address and Ford lecture by world-renowned biographer and film historian Joseph McBride (biographer for Ford, Spielberg, and Orson Welles, amongst others).
- The 60th anniversary screening of “The Quiet Man”, with special guests Dan Ford (grandson of John Ford), Hollywood royalty Maureen O’Hara, and Oscar nominated producer Redmond Morris (son of The Quiet Man producer Lord Killanin)
- Over a dozen public screenings, including a free outdoor screening of “The Searchers”, the 1956 classic John Wayne western, rare screenings of Ford classics “The Grapes of Wrath”, “Fort Apache”, “The Informer” and the recently discovered feature film “Upstream” (screening for the first time in Ireland).
- Ford panel discussions each day with leading international film experts including Charles Barr (University of East Anglia), Gaylyn Studlar (Washington University), Kevin Rockett (Trinity), Luke Gibbons (NUI Maynooth), and Waylon White Deer (Choctaw Nation), amongst others.
- Ford industry hub with Oscar nominated directors Jim Sheridan (Into the West) and John Boorman (“Deliverance”), BAFTA nominated Brian Kirk (“Boardwalk Empire”, “Game of Thrones”) and Emmy nominated Thaddeus O’Sullivan (“Into the Storm”), IFTA winning screenwriter Pat McCabe (“The Butcher Boy”), Colin Bateman (“Divorcing Jack”), and Paul Fraser (“Once Upon a Time in the Midlands”).
- Master class with Oscar winning editor Joel Cox (“Unforgiven”, “Mystic River”).
- 20th Anniversary screening of Clint Eastwood’s Oscar winning revisionist Western Unforgiven, facilitated by Empire Magazine’s Kim Newman reflecting on Eastwood’s work as the recipient of the inaugural John Ford Award.
- Music for the screen event with Golden Globe nominated composer and musician Kyle Eastwood (“Mystic River”, “Million Dollar Baby” and “Gran Torino”).
- The Abbey Players and John Ford – an exploration of Ford’s relationship with the actors of the Abbey Theatre.
- The John Ford Exhibition displaying rarely seen Ford papers and correspondence.
- Plus much, much more….
Here’s a documentary that encapsulates John Ford’s amazing career:
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.