Kings of Leon gear up to rock Slane on festival’s 30th anniversary
A massive crowd of 80,000 will descend on Slane village, County Meath on Saturday to see a lineup of world class bands and celebrate the 30th anniversary of Lord Henry Mountcharles concerts on his estate.
Big names such as Elbow, Thin Lizzy, Mona, White Lies and The Whigs will provide support for US rock stars Kings of Leon who will close out the proceedings with a two-hour set.
Slane Festival has become known as a rock festival. In fact, some years ago it was suggested to Lord Mountcharles that he might have the boy band Westlife headline the day. He immediately dismissed the idea much to the protests of Louis Walsh.
Here are the 30 years of headline acts that rocked Slane –
1981 - U2
1982 - The Rolling Stones
1983 - Thin Lizzy
1984 - Bob Dylan
1985 - Bruce Springsteen
1986 - Queen
1987 - David Bowie
1992 - Guns N' Roses
1993 - Neil Young
1995 - R.E.M.
1998 - The Verve
1999 - Robbie Williams
2000 - Bryan Adams
2001 - U2
2001 - Moby
2002 - Stereophonics
2003 - Red Hot Chili Peppers
2004 - Madonna
2006 - Celtic Woman
2007 - The Rolling Stones
2009 - Oasis
2011 - Kings of Leon
- Irish university suspends Legion of Mary...
- 4,000 Irish social welfare letters encourage...
- Notre Dame sues federal government again...
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Top ten worst ever Irish Christmas gifts,...
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Address by Nelson Mandela to Joint Houses...
- Nelson Mandela showed us all what could be...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra