Hollywood star Liam Neeson says he may convert to Islam
Irish actor is moved by Muslim calls to prayer in Istanbul
Irish actor Liam Neeson has confirmed he is considering converting from Catholicism to Islam.
The Ballymena born star told the Irish Sun that Islamic prayer ‘got into his spirit’ while filming a new movie in the Turkish city of Istanbul.
Neeson said: “The Call to Prayer happens five times a day and for the first week it drives you crazy, and then it just gets into your spirit and it’s the most beautiful, beautiful thing.
“There are 4,000 mosques in the city. Some are just stunning and it really makes me think about becoming a Muslim.”
Raised as a devout Catholic, Neeson has admitted that his faith was challenged after his wife Natasha Richardson died in a freak skiing accident in 2009.
More Liam Neeson news on IrishCentral
He added: “I was reared a Catholic but I think every day we ask ourselves, not consciously, what are we doing on this planet? What’s it all about?
“I’m constantly reading books on God or the absence of God and atheism.”
Neeson was heavily criticised in 2010 when he openly refuted claims by author C.S. Lewis that Narnia lion Aslan is based on Christ.
After he voiced the character in the film adaptation, Neeson instead claimed Aslan was based on other spiritual leaders including Mohammed and Buddha.
“Aslan symbolises a Christ-like figure but he also symbolises for me Mohammed, Buddha and all the great spiritual leaders and prophets over the centuries,” said Neeson at the time.
“That’s who Aslan stands for as well as a mentor figure for kids - that’s what he means for me.”
15 - 116 | See all comments
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Bill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an...