'Half-Blood Prince' a blue blood addition to the Harry Potter franchise
True to form, Luna doesn’t disappoint: she shows up in a bright silver dress that looks like a Christmas tree. A true eccentric, the only thing to do is be charmed by her, and this time Harry completely succumbs.
Although Voldemort is barely seen in this episode, his influence is felt everywhere, even infiltrating Hogwarts with the help of his band of Death Eaters. The best scenes in the film involve flashbacks to Voldemort’s youth, when he was known as Tom Riddle, the boy who will eventually grow into the darkest wizard the world has ever known.
Voldemort learns about horcruxs, a form of dark magic where the soul can be split apart and sealed within a magical object like jewel or a ring, so that even if the physical body is destroyed death will not follow. The catch is that the only way to split the soul into the pieces to make a horcrux is to murder someone – an act that the psychopathic young Tom Riddle has no difficulty performing.
Thankfully, Harry and Dumbledore unearth the secret of Voldemort’s horcruxs and the quest to find and destroy these foul magical objects begins in earnest. But Voldemort’s dark wizardry has allowed him to access areas of dark magic only guessed at by Dumbledore — and fatal complications ensue.
In the role of the sneering Professor Snape, Alan Rickman is once again the best thing in the entire series. With his sarcasm and his withering looks, he brings humor and an unexpected degree of pathos to a role he obviously relishes. But fans are in for a shock about Snape’s true nature and what he’s willing to do to protect his secrets.
"The Half Blood Prince" often feels like a stopgap between the previous Potter film and the final confrontation in "The Deathly Hallows," but it’s a remarkably entertaining one and should not be missed.
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.