Father Ted Festival: Comedy series and comedian Dermot Morgan celebrated on the Aran Islands
Mayo won the day in the General Election and on Craggy Island as Belmullet girl Majella Donoghue took a leaf out of Enda Kenny’s book on Saturday.
Hundreds of Father Ted fans cast the political votes to one side as they celebrated the life and times of Ireland’s greatest comedy series and its star turn Dermot Morgan over the weekend.
The General Election was forgotten about amidst the drama and excitement of the Loveliest Girl On Craggy Island contest as families, friends and fans of the late Morgan celebrated the iconic TV show.
Inis Mor, the largest of the Aran Islands, was turned into Craggy Island for the weekend for the fifth annual Tedfest, deemed the best yet by those in the know.
Like Enda Kenny’s landslide win on the mainland, the votes all went the way of Mayo in the Lovely Girl competition as Majella Donoghue from Belmullet triumphed.
Majella had to endure several rounds of swiss-roll sculpting and lovely walking before she was crossed the winner.
Dermot Morgan’s son Rob was one of the judges who awarded the Loveliest Girl On Craggy Island title to the 24-year-old Majella.
“This year we’ve had record numbers attending and the weekend has just been fantastic,” Rob told the Irish Independent.
“We’re all just buzzing. There’s been so much to enjoy and everybody has gotten involved in everything, from the wedding of the Loveliest Couple to the Kill Bill Festival, the ceilis and sing-along’s to matchmaking with Nelly in the Craggy Crack Den.”
Hundreds of revelers dressed as nuns, priests and bishops with the odd, very odd, Mrs Doyle thrown in for good measure.
“The weekend is a celebration of the success of the Father Ted series and something my Dad would have really enjoyed,” add Rob Morgan.
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Bill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an...