Daniel Day-Lewis leaves the ladies swooning in 'Nine'
Daniel Day-Lewis looks like he’s enjoying his leading male role in the upcoming film “Nine,” and what red-blooded male could blame him?
The double Oscar winner is surrounded by fellow Academy honorees Penelope Cruz and Marion Cotillard in this still from the hotly anticipated new musical "Nine," based on the Broadway show of the same name that scooped five Tony Awards back in 1982.
DDL, the only male star in the film, portrays a world famous film director in the 60s who has a professional and personal midlife crisis as he approaches his 40th birthday. And he’s surrounded by a phalanx of women, including a wife, mistress, muse, confidant and other assorted hangers-on.
The film is directed by Rob Marshall, who helmed the film version of the musical “Chicago” a few years back. You’ll remember that “Chicago” was an Oscar darling, winning a Best Picture Oscar among other nods, so no doubt expectations will be equally high for “Nine.”
The cast alone is chock full of star power. In addition to DDL, Cruz and Cotillard, it includes Nicole Kidman, Kate Hudson, Sophia Loren, Dame Judi Dench and Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas. It opens in the U.S. on December 18, right in the middle of Oscar sweepstakes time.
In other DDL news, the actor, who maintains a home in Ireland, travels on an Irish passport and considers himself Irish through and through, even though he’s a native Londoner, will receive the Richard Harris Award for outstanding contribution to British film at a ceremony next month hosted by the British Independent Film Awards.
The Brits have every right to try and re-claim Daniel, but geez, it’s pretty strange to do so using an award named after Harris, who was born and raised in County Limerick!
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas