Ten Irish or Irish Americans I would most like to meet (PHOTOS)
From JFK to James Joyce, dead or alive, what an interesting bunch
Who are the most famous Irish or Irish Americans you would like to meet?
A friend asked me that very question so I put a first list together.
The greatest Irish American of all who finished the ‘No Irish Need Apply” era and brought the Irish to the forefront in American life.
2. Michael Collins
I know, I know, the myth, the legend, but the sheer audacity of how he outmaneuvered the British forces during the War of Independence makes him a genius.
3. Jimmy Cagney
He created the original Irish tough guy from the neighborhood persona, a real spitfire on and off the screen.
4. James Joyce
“The Dead” is the greatest short story ever written. I can’t get through Finnegans Wake, hardly got the joke with Ulysses, but the early writing is exquisite!
5. Maud Gonne
What did she have to turn the greatest Irish poet WB Yeats into a lapdog whimpering at her heels? What a muse and an Irish revolutionary.
6. W.B. Yeats
Just how did you forge the rhymes and rhythms that are so incredibly evocative and brilliant?
7.General Phil Sheridan
An unsung hero of the Civil War, Cavan born, or so they think. A mixed record, he later went on to attack the Indians but a true soldier.
8. Ronald Reagan
I saw him in the White House once about six feet away, but never met him. As much influence on the Republicans as Kennedy had on the Democrats.
9. Edna O’Brien
Yes I’m cheating, we’ve met, but she told profound truths about the lies and secrets of Irish life a generation before they were discovered.
10. Henry Ford
The son of an Irish immigrant. He changed the world more profoundly than any politician or prince.
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Irish students told “No Irish Need Apply”...
- Bill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Top ten negative terms used to describe Irish...
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Are the Celts one of the ten lost tribes...