1. Cork got its nickname ‘The Rebel County’ due to a history of independence from the Viking invasions to the Irish War of Independence, when it was the scene of a considerable amount of fighting.
2. Cork is home to Blarney Castle, where popular myth denotes that kissing the Blarney Stone at the top of the Castle will bestow the kisser with the “gift of gab” (great eloquence, or skills of flattery).
3. The first factory that Ford Motor Company built outside of America was in Cork, where owner Henry Ford’s ancestors were from.
4. St Colman’s Cathedral in Cobh has the largest Carillon Bells in Ireland and the UK (49 bells).
5. All Cork’s main thoroughfares are built on covered up river channels. In fact, the Gaelic word for Cork (‘Corcaigh’) means “marshy place.”
6. Ireland’s most southern point falls at Cobh, and is aptly nicknamed ‘The teardrop of Ireland.’ Cobh was also the ill-fated Titanic’s last port of call in 1912.
7. Cork Harbor is said to be the second largest harbor in the world, after Sydney Harbor in Australia. The motto on the coat of arms of Cork City is ‘Statio Bene Fide Carinis’ which means 'A Safe Harbor for Ships’.
8. County Cork is the largest county in Ireland, and Cork City is the third largest city just behind Belfast and Dublin.
9. Sir Walter Raleigh is said to have planted the first potato in Ireland near his home in Youghal, Cork around 1588.
10. The 13 arch bridge in the village of Glanworth was built in the mid-15th century structure and is said to be the narrowest and oldest public bridge in everyday use in Europe.
*Originally published in October 2011
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: