Donal Skehan is a home cook, food writer and television presenter who has written five cookbooks. He presents the TV show Kitchen Hero on RTÉ One in Ireland, Grandma's Boy on FOX International and is a judge on BBC's Junior MasterChef. Check out Donal's facebook, twitter and website and make sure to subscribe to his youtube channel for more culinary tips, recipes and food travels.
Blackberries can be found in abundance in hedgerows throughout Ireland from late summer right up until early Autumn. There are plenty of things you can make with them, but an absolute classic is this simple jam.
Makes 4 x 9oz jars
2 1/5lb of sugar
2 1/5lb of blackberries
Juice and zest of one lemon
- Place sugar and blackberries and juice and zest of one lemon in a large pot.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, stirring until all the sugar dissolves.
- Cook the jam for approximately 15 minutes or until it reaches 105˚C on a sugar thermometer.
- Remove from the heat and carefully transfer to sterilized jars, cover each with a disc of wax paper and seal tightly with a lid.
- Keep in a cool dark place the jam should keep like this for up to 12 months.