Internationally recognized Irish Chef Stuart O’Keeffe is a weekly food contributor for Dublin’s Evening Herald newspaper and in 2011 he debuted his own cooking show, Stuart’s Kitchen (airing in Ireland and New Zealand). Currently residing in Los Angeles, he hosts Kitchen Daily 101 on AOL. Stuart’s philosophy is to cook “hearty but healthy”, marrying the old world goodness of Ireland with the abundant fresh offerings of California.
"I make a lot of soup this time of year, when the weather begins to get cooler. Pea soup has always been one of my favorites, especially when paired with some crispy bacon!" - Chef Stuart
8 strips bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon Canola oil
3 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
2 carrots, roughly chopped
2 teaspoons marjoram
2 bags frozen green peas
7 cups chicken stock
- Melt butter in a large pot then cook bacon until crispy, 6-8 minutes.
- Remove and set aside. Add butter, onions, carrots and celery and cook for about 8 minutes, until softened.
- Add in marjoram, peas and stock. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, let cool and puree in batches in a blender or food processor.
- Season to taste, ladle into bowls and sprinkle with bacon. Serve with some crusty bread.