'One Direction: This is Us', a 3-D concert documentary directed by Morgan Spurlock, earned $2.7 million from its advance screenings on Thursday night.
According to Forbes.com, 98 percent of online ticket purchases were made by females; the remaining 2 percent came from "dads, boyfriends, young gay males, and male film critics."
The film, which follows the boyband on a 150-date world tour and was made for only $10 million, is estimated to gross around $22 million for the Labor Day weekend, with Sony Pictures'TriStar label playing the film on more than 2,000 screens, according to Billboard.com.
The One Direction feature is expected to exceed the biggest grossing concert documentary, Justin Beiber's "Never Say Never" which opened in Feb. 2011 and made $73 million in the U.S.
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: