Every day, we [Newswhip] track countless shares, likes and comments on up to 250,000 stories being shared on Facebook.
We’ve seen some fascinating growth in sharing of news on Facebook in the last few months – something that we think is really important for more and more online publishers.
To illustrate the changes, we’ve put together an infographic. From the biggest English language newspapers on Facebook so far this year, to the most-shared stories, it’s packed with all sorts of interesting facts and stats.
Here are some:
- Interaction with content on Facebook rose by 23% between January and April,
- We tracked over 1.74bn engagements with English news content in the first quarter of 2014,
- 80 English language publishers had over 80m combined Facebook interactions on their content in May, up from 25 is August 2013,
- Music stories were most likely to get more interactions per story than any other topic (based on April data),
- The Mail Online was the biggest ‘newspaper’ on Facebook in the first quarter of 2014.
There’s lots more, including the most-shared stories from different publishers, the biggest publishers by category and our six top tips for making the most of Facebook as a platform for content distribution.
Feel free to share the infographic – we’ll post some more snippets over on Twitter.
If you want to check out how we were able to track all this content, check out Spike today.