Naturalization Questions - Part 1
FOLLOWING is our annual two-part summer feature on the questions U.S. naturalization candidates can be asked during a citizenship interview, as provided by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service, which has updated its question list somewhat.
Here are the first 50, with answers - our issue coming out on Wednesday, August 8 will contain the rest.
1. What are the colors of our flag?
2. What do the stars on the flag mean?
3. How many stars are there on our flag?
4. What color are the stars on our flag?
5. How many stripes are there on our flag?
6. What do the stripes on the flag represent?
7. What colors are the stripes on the flag?
8. How many states are there in the union (the
9. What do we celebrate on the 4th of July?
10. Independence Day celebrates independence
11. What country did we fight during the Revolutionary
12. Who was the first president of the U.S.?
13. Who is the president of the U.S. today?
14. Who is the vice president of the U.S. today?
15. Who elects the president of the U.S.?
16. Who becomes president if the president dies?
17. What is the Constitution?
18. What do we call changes to the Constitution?
19. How many changes, or amendments, are there
to the Constitution?
20. What are the three branches of our gov-
21. What is the legislative branch of our government?
22. What makes up Congress?
23. Who makes the federal laws in the United States?
24. Who elects Congress?
25. How many senators are there in Congress?
26. For how long do we elect each senator?
27. Name two senators from your state.
28. How many voting members are in the House of
29. For how long do we elect each member of the House
30. Who is the head of the Executive branch of the
31. For how long is the president elected?
32. What is the highest part of the Judiciary branch
of our government?
33. What are the duties of the Supreme Court?
34. What is the supreme law of the U.S.?
35. What is the Bill of Rights?
36. What is the capital of the state you live in?
37. Who is the current governor of the state you
38. Who becomes president if both the president and
vice president die?
39. Who is chief justice of the Supreme Court?
40. What were the original 13 states?
41. Who said, "Give me liberty or give me death?"
42. Name some countries that were our enemies
during World War II.
43. What was the 49th state added to our union (the
44. How many full terms can a President serve?
45. Who was Martin Luther King, Jr.?
46. What are some of the requirements to be eligible
to become president?
47. Why are there 100 senators in the U.S. Senate?
48. Who nominates judges for the Supreme Court?
49. How many Supreme Court justices are there?
50. Why did the Pilgrims come to America?
1. Red, white and blue.
2. One for each state.
3. There are 50 stars.
4. The stars are white.
5. There are 13 stripes.
6. The first 13 states.
7. The stripes are red and white.
8. 50 states.
9. Independence Day.
10. Independence from Great Britain.
11. We fought Great Britain in the Revolutionary War.