Miracle as defibrillator saves Irish grandfather's life during Long Island school run
“I would be dead if it did not happen in the school,” says Meath immigrant
An Irish grandfather had a close brush with death when he brought his granddaughters to pre-school last week on Long Island.
Peter Clarke, 61, was doing the school run when he went into cardiac arrest last Wednesday and fell flat on his face in the middle of Trinity Regional School in East Northport.
“I would be dead if it did not happen in the school,” reflected Clarke, who was saved after quick thinking parents sprang into action during the morning rush.
It all began on the second morning of term at the school. Clarke, originally from Oldcastle, Co. Meath, was dropping his granddaughters off at school shortly after 8:30 a.m. when he suddenly began to feel queasy close to the main foyer of the entrance.
“I just didn’t feel good for five seconds,” the Smithtown resident told the Irish Voice.
Clarke then collapsed onto the floor. But in a fortunate twist of fate, he was soon surrounded by emergency personnel.
Two off-duty police officers, an off-duty firefighter and a school nurse were on hand to treat Clarke. In another stroke of luck, a defibrillator was hanging within arm’s reach of where Clarke collapsed.
“Without that defibrillator I was dead,” Clarke said.
Northport Police Officer Pete Howard explained to the Irish Voice how the crisis unfolded as he dropped his 4-year-old daughter off at school.
“There were 20 or 30 parents there; it was pretty crowded as I walked by the main desk,” he recalled.
“A minute later from the corner of my eye I see this older gentleman fall flat forward on his face. Out of instinct I ran over there,” said Howard, who has been a member of the Northport Police Department for 16 years.
Acting on instinct, Howard turned Clarke on his back to open his airways, and immediately recognized the grandfather.
“I screamed for someone to call 911 and asked for an IED,” Howard recalls.
School nurse Kathy Schildhorn, MTA Police Lieutenant Alex Lindsay and Greenlawn Fire Department advanced life support (ALS) provider Mario Geddes were on hand to assist.
“We knew he was in cardiac arrest right away,” said Howard.
The team of medical personnel worked on Clarke, shocking him three times in attempts to restart his heart.
“After the third shock he opened his eyes and asked what happened,” recalls Howard.
Clarke, who blacked out, recalls little of the drama. “I remember I saw black, like a tunnel, not any of that white crap, and next thing I was gone,” he said.
“When I woke up I asked what happened and I recognized Pete Howard,” the grandfather recalls.
Clarke had to ignore his instincts to get up when he was instructed to remain still until the ambulance arrived.
“The Irish are very stubborn and I am not good with doctors,” said Clarke, who immigrated to the U.S. in 1972.
- Daily Mail unloads on 'drunken young' Paddys with booze-baiting rant - British tabloid co...
- Many Irish J-1 students in dire straits as they struggle to find housing and work in U.S....
- Trial of Boston mob boss Whitey Bulger - who evaded capture for 16 years - begins in Bosto...
- Planning a Trip to Ireland? Avail of our new IrishCentral Travel Deal of the Week...
- The Bronx prepares for arrival of Irish J-1 students seeking slice of Big Apple...
The IRISH VOICE
- Jamie Kavanagh wins, Seanie Monaghan signs with Top Rank...
- Rockland minors defeat St. Barnabas after a thrilling match...
- Goal from Leitrim’s Maguire a game changer against stubborn Donegal...
- Graeme McDowell feels prepared for upcoming U.S. Open...
- Ireland barely beats American Eagles 15-12 in Texas rugby match...