Rest in Peace!
One 6-8 pound oven-ready ham (not a salted country ham)
1⁄4 cup juniper berries (if dried soak until soft)
1 1⁄2 cups French style mustard
(country style coarse if possible)
1 cup gin (should cover the
bottom 1 inch of the meat)
1 cup brown sugar
Score the ham to a depth of 1/2 inch on all sides. Rub juniper berries into the cuts all over. Marinate ham in gin in plastic bag or container (1-2 days). Mix the gin with the brown sugar and mustard, thinning with a bit of water to make a ‘wash.’ Cover ham with the mixture. Place in a roasting pan and cover with tinfoil, pierced in several places. Bake 20-30 minutes per pound in a 325° F oven. Remove foil and continue baking another 20-30 minutes until skin is slightly crisp. From time to time, baste with liquid from bottom of pan. Do not allow the ham to become dried out. Remove from oven and cool for 20 minutes at room temperature. Slice and pour pan juices over the sliced meat. Serves 10-12 people.
2 3⁄4 cups mashed potatoes
1 cup flour
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking power
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup oat flakes
Bacon fat for frying
Extra oat flakes
Mix dry ingredients and cut in butter until mixture is grainy. Quickly mix in mashed potatoes (can be warm). Divide in two parts, knead 1/2 cup of oat flakes into each, and roll into two balls. Sprinkle extra oat flakes on a pastry cloth, place one ball of dough at a time on the pastry cloth and roll each one into a circle 1/4 inch thick. Divide each into farls or quarters. Heat griddle to smoking hot, grease with bacon fat, grill farls 2-3 minutes on each side until golden. As oats will brown darker than the farls, make sure they do not burn. Makes 8 farls. Serve with butter and a selection of Irish cheeses.
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Michael Flatley, star of Lord of the Dance...
- Did Pope Francis perform an exorcism at the...
- Violent attacks on gays in New York up 70...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- The top ten things I dislike about Irish...
- 'I expect terror attacks during G8 summit'...
- 87-year-old sues Donald Trump over condo...
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...